Date:      Sat, 7 Feb 2015 03:49:41 -0800
From:      Mark Millard <markmi@dsl-only.net>
To:        Nathan Whitehorn <nwhitehorn@freebsd.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD PowerPC ML <freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org>
Subject:   HEADS UP: powerpc64 kernel format change [booted a PowerMac G5 quad-core][those problems booting some kernel variants: new info]

Nathan, you had the below written about my problems with booting my =
builds of, say, 10.1-STABLE  (kernel=3D"kernel10.1S" in =
/boot/loaderl.conf) without involving the kernel from my build of =
10.1-RELEASE-p5 (kernel=3D"kernel10.1RE" or sometimes kernel=3D"kernel" =
in /boot/loader.conf), where kernel=3D"kernel10.1RE" in =
/boot/loader.conf boots just fine...

> So this has to be some kind of icache issue. If you unload and reload=20=

> the *same* kernel, does it also help?
> -Nathan

(Part of the evidence was: Using kernel=3D"kernel10.1RE" in =
/boot/loader.conf, stopping at the 10sec prompt, unloading, and doing =
"boot kernel 10.1S" lets my 10.1-STABLE builds boot that will not boot =
directly.)

Well I've got a little more information from a different direction: A =
way to create the problem when building my 10.1-RELEASE-p5 kernel is to =
enable VERBOSE_SYSINIT. More specifically the comparison/contrast I've =
done so far is...

I added the following 3 lines to my GENERIC64vtsc for my 10.1-RELEASE-p5 =
source tree (no other changes elsewhere at all)

options 	VERBOSE_SYSINIT
options 	BOOTVERBOSE=3D1
options 	BOOTHOWTO=3DRB_VERBOSE

and rebuilt kernel the via KERNCONF=3DGENERIC64vtsc INSTKERNNAME=3Dkernel =
the resulting kernel load fails if referenced by /boot/loader.conf via =
kernel=3D"kernel" line. The %SRR0 address value listed is the same as =
for kernel10.1S: 1c277fc. But booting using kernel=3D"kernel10.1RE" in =
/boot/loader.conf, stopping at the 10sec wait, unloading, and typing =
"boot kernel" boots fine --just like "boot kernel10.1S".

Note: GENERIC64vtsc has option DDB enabled (and GBD too). (This is =
associated my with my information gathering for early G5 boot =
crashes/hangups.)

Note: This is the first time I've ever tried any of those 3 options. My =
kernel10.1S build was not based on them.

Then I changed the 3 lines by just commenting out the first of the 3 =
that I had added

#options 	VERBOSE_SYSINIT
options 	BOOTVERBOSE=3D1
options 	BOOTHOWTO=3DRB_VERBOSE

and rebuilt via KERNCONF=3DGENERIC64vtsc INSTKERNNAME=3Dkernel again. =
The resulting /boot/kernel/... boots just fine when kernel=3D"kernel" is =
used in /boot/loader.conf : no need for using kernel10.1RE or for =
stopping to do anything special.

=3D=3D=3D
Mark Millard
markmi at dsl-only.net