Date:      Fri, 24 Aug 2012 09:14:51 -0600
From:      Gary Aitken <freebsd@dreamchaser.org>
To:        Bernt Hansson <bah@bananmonarki.se>
Subject:   Re: EXIF inspector

On 08/24/12 05:05, Bernt Hansson wrote:
> 2012-08-23 19:14, Gary Aitken skrev:

>> bah --
>>    exif doesn't report all the tags
>
> Try exif -l filename and it will show you all exif fields and the fields that's in the picture.
>
>  From man exif
>
> -l, --list-tags
>        List all known EXIF tags and IFDs.  A JPEG image  must  be  pro-
>        vided, and those tags which appear in the file are shown with an
>        asterisk in the corresponding position in the list.

exif appears to list only "known" exif tags, and seems to omit vendor specific
information.  Much of the important information about an image is stored in the
vendor specific tags.

In the case of my oly pen-ep3, exif -l lists 143 known exif tags,
of which only 49 are used by my camera.  However, exiv2 shows over
300 pieces of relevant information which actually appear, and well over 100
I can identify as relevant to the particular image (the others may or may not
be relevant, I just can't interpret them; some are unlabelled).