Date:      Wed, 24 Nov 1999 03:45:48 -0500
From:      "Ben Goodwin" <ben-lists@atomicmatrix.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   IPFW letting me in when it shouldn't??

I have a 3.3R machine that's acting as a firewall.  It's placed between my
router and my lan.  I have a fairly lengthy rc.firewall, so I won't post it
yet .. I'm figuring that the problem I'm about to describe is either a known
issue or a "oh, you dummy, you forgot to do this" type of thing.
If I telnet to, say, port 111 from the outside world to a particular server
behind said firewall, I get denied (the telnet just "hangs", and the console
shows a refused entry).  However, if I telnet to, say, port 25, which is
allowed thru, disconnect, and then try port 111 again, I'm allowed through!
If I wait 15 seconds, and try port 111 again, I'm disallowed.  What's going
on here?
TIA,

    -=| Ben