Date:      Fri, 28 Jul 2006 01:40:17 GMT
From:      Arthur Hartwig <Arthur.Hartwig@nokia.com>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: kern/85106: The ICH7 smb interface is not recognised

The following reply was made to PR kern/85106; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Arthur Hartwig <Arthur.Hartwig@nokia.com>
To: ext Mike Jakubik <mikej@rogers.com>
Cc: bug-followup@FreeBSD.org
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 11:33:31 +1000

 G'day Mike,
     Thanks for your attention. I was interested in this issue because I
 noticed it on a Gigabyte GA-8I945-P motherboard. This particular
 motherboard has the environmental sensors accessed over the ISA bus to a
 ITE 8712 super-io chip rather than the ICH7 but the ICH7 support was of
 interest to me because a system under design at the time was going to to
 use the ICH7. That plan was revised and the system is using the 5000P
 chipset instead.

 The smb support in FreeBSD is a bit inconsistent. The intpm driver
 (seems to be the earliest smbus driver) treats a user supplied smbus
 address as 8 bits with the low order bit the read/write bit. (This also
 seems to be the address view of the smbmsg utility, at least as stated
 in the man page.) However the other drivers for smb hardware that I
 looked at all take the user supplied address as a 7-bit address and
 shift it left one bit before giving it to the hardware. The left shit
 allows for the read/write bit. This seems incompatible with the smbmsg
 utility.

 In probing the smb bus I have found the practice most likely to succeed
 is to use a quick write (no data supplied in that message) and see if
 anything responds (acknowledges). My experience is that its dangerous to
 probe 7-bit addresses below 0x10 and above 0x78. Accesses outside that
 address range seem to hit something that locks up the controller and
 recovery seems to be possible only through a system restart. I admit I
 have tried only about 3 or 4 different motherboards, a poor sample size
 from which to generalise.

 Arthur