Date:      Mon, 1 Mar 1999 07:07:14 +1300
From:      "Dan Langille" <junkmale@xtra.co.nz>
To:        Guy Helmer <ghelmer@scl.ameslab.gov>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: login fails after 2.2.8 => 3.1 upgrade

On 28 Feb 99, at 9:50, Guy Helmer wrote:

> On Sun, 28 Feb 1999, Dan Langille wrote:
>
> > I've recently upgraded from 2.2.8-stable to 3.1-stable.  The system
> > startup seems OK until it starts loading applications such as
dhcpclient,
> > etc.  The error displayed is:
> >
> > /usr/libexec/ld.so: warning: /usr/lib/libc.so.3: minor version -1
older
> > than expected 1, using it anyway.
> > ld.so failed: bad magic number in "/usr/lib/libc.so.3"
>
> Have you updated /etc/rc?  It seems that your a.out applications are
still
> using /usr/lib for their libraries, instead of /usr/lib/aout, which
> indicates that ldconfig isn't being run properly in /etc/rc.

Thank you.  That fixed the error messages which were also appearing during
the boot process.  And I can now login at the console in other than single
user mode.  That should go a long way to getting the box up and running
<grin>.

I don't know why /etc/rc was not overwritten.  I had done a "cp -Rp
/var/tmp/root/etc /etc/rc" as part of the reconciliation between the old
and new.  (see http://www.nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk/FreeBSD/make-
world/make-world.html) for details.

Makes me worry about what else went wrong...

--
Dan Langille
The FreeBSD Diary