Date:      Mon, 24 Sep 2001 13:00:32 -0700
From:      dannyman <dannyman@toldme.com>
To:        Kory Hamzeh <kory@avatar.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Looking for a sendmail replacement

On Sun, Sep 23, 2001 at 03:09:44PM -0700, Kory Hamzeh wrote:

> I'm looking for a MTA to replace sendmail. My requirements are:
>
> 1. Easy to understand and configure

Postfix.

> 2. Supports parallel delivery.

Postfix.

> 3. Easy to understand and configure

Postfix.

> 4. Supports virtual hosting

Postfix.

> 5. Easy to understand and configure

Postfix.

Others have pointed out the Postfix port.  It's basically qmail, only
written by someone sane, so it is easy to understand and configure.

Basically:
cd /usr/ports/mail/postfix
make install replace
killall sendmail
$EDITOR /usr/local/etc/postfix/main.cf
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/postfix.sh start

The proof is in the pudding: /usr/local/etc/postfix/main.cf is a
highly-commentd config file.  For the basic stuff, you just read through
it, read the comments, and make the appropriate changes.  Trickier stuff
you read the man pages and check out the Postfix web site.  If you
really get confused you post a question to the Postfix mailing list, and
you will likely receive a timely, condescending reply from Vietse
himself, pointing out the answer, and where in his documentation you
would have read that. :)

-danny