Date:      Mon, 13 Jan 2020 20:39:43 -0600
From:      "Josh Paetzel" <jpaetzel@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "Xin Li via freebsd-hackers" <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Console redirection for UEFI and IPMI-SOL

On Fri, Jan 10, 2020, at 12:30 PM, Ravi Pokala wrote:
> Hi folks,
>=20
> I'm trying to bring 12.1-RELEASE up on a new hardware platform. The=20=

> system will boot from an NVMe device, so it must boot using UEFI.
>=20
> I've installed UEFI-based systems several times before, without any=20=

> trouble. But for those previous platforms, the VGA console was all I=20=

> needed; on this new platform, I need a serial console, using IPMI=20
> Serial-Over-LAN. I've set up SOL plenty of times before too... but onl=
y=20
> on BIOS-based systems. It's the combination of UEFI+SOL which seems to=
=20
> be causing me problems.
>=20
> When I boot, I see output from loader.efi on both the VGA and the SOL=20=

> consoles; they report the console type as "efi". When the kernel start=
s=20
> running, I only see the output on the VGA console, not the SOL console=
.=20
> My ideal configuration -- which is what I have on my BIOS-based system=
s=20
> -- is:
>=20
> - bootloader on both VGA console and SOL console
> - kernel output on both VGA console and SOL console
> - single-user prompt on whichever I selected as the primary (first in=20=

> the 'console' list in /boot/loader.conf)
> - login prompts on both consoles after `getty' has started.
>=20
> =EF=BB=BFOn the aforementioned previous BIOS+SOL systems, /boot/loader=
.conf=20
> contains the following:
>=20
> | boot_serial=3D"YES"
> | console=3D"comconsole vidconsole"
> | kern.vty=3D"vt" # 10.x; different on 12.1?
> | hw.vga.textmode=3D"1"
>=20
> When I used those same settings on the UEFI systems, loader.efi=20
> complains about "vidconsole" not being valid, and I got no more output=
=20
> anywhere. Changing that to "efi" let me get the kernel messages on the=
=20
> VGA console, but still nothing on the SOL.
>=20
> I'm happy to provide more info about the platform; just tell me what=20=

> commands to run to gather it.
>=20
> Thanks,
>=20
> Ravi (rpokala@)
>=20
>=20
org"

So in EFI land you're going to want console=3D"comconsole efi"
You'll probably also want boot_multicons=3D"YES"

Almost certainly the loader needs to be told over what serial port the I=
PMI serial port really is. It's probably very helpfully sending all the =
output to a header on the motherboard somewhere.

dmesg is your friend there.

comconsole_port and possibly comconsole_speed may need to be set.

ipmitool sol  info 1 to see what the volatile and non-volatile bit rates=
 are set to.

--=20

Thanks,

Josh Paetzel