Date:      Mon, 19 Jun 2000 11:37:38 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        =?ISO-8859-1?Q?G=E9rard_Roudier?= <groudier@club-internet.fr>
Cc:        Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: does the sym driver work with the xp1000 pci scsi controller?

G=E9rard Roudier writes:
 >=20
 > By the way, I noticed that Linux does not map anything in the 3GB-4G=
B PCI
 > address range for the tsunami core-logic, unlike FreeBSD that seems =
to map
 > the 2nd GB of main memory in this range. Some comments tells that th=
 > CYPRESS south bridge may respond to some address withing the 3GB-4GB=
 PCI
 > range. Note that this should not make differences for memory size no=
 > larger than 1 GB. Probably not related with the problem but interest=
ing
 > difference, IMO.

I saw that comment before extending the direct map & it concerned me.
But now I'm not sure that I believe the comment as the Compaq
TestDrive folks have been running a 2GB XP1000 for months.  In any
case, I don't think the NCR/Symbios problem is related as the
NCR/Symbios problem predates the extension of the direct map to cover
machines with 2GB of memory.

I'm hoping that the problems with having NCR/Symbios chips on the
second hose will disappear when Doug's cleaner handling of
multiple-hose alphas is committed.

Cheers,

Drew

-------
Andrew Gallatin, Sr Systems Programmer=09http://www.cs.duke.edu/~gallat=
in
Duke University=09=09=09=09Email: gallatin@cs.duke.edu
Department of Computer Science=09=09Phone: (919) 660-6590