Date:      Mon, 26 Apr 1999 08:43:40 +0100
From:      Clem.Dye@wdr.com
To:        adamn@csl.com, Clem.Dye@wdr.com, fpscha@ns1.sminter.com.ar, grog@lemis.com
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Re: Partition sizes on 3.1

Greg:

Thanks for the advice. One point though. If you're a newbie to
FreeBSD then part of the gameplan is try and minimise problems during
the initial setup phase so that you don't have to go through some
torturous process a short while later to try and fix things. This may
be fine if you're a guru but for most of us that's probably not the
case. The argument for accepting the automatic partition layout at
install time may be fine for some users, but clearly not for others.

I briefly checked the web-based handbook & FAQ at www.freebsd.org and
I didn't recollect seeing anything about how to lay-out partitions
(if there is something there, then I apologise for the time-waste).
To my mind at least, some guidelines would be useful. Along with your
comments about partition layouts, we have a number of different takes
on what actually is best. I accept that there can't be a 'one size
fits all' solution because each system is a different animal. For
example, one person says use a separate slice for swap, you say 'no
point'. What size should a swap partition/slice be, for example, 2x
physical ram? How big should / be so as to avoid problems but not to
waste space? If there is a general guidelines document somewhere,
then I'd appreciate someone pointing me to it and I'll shut-up on
this topic. If there isn't then I would humbly suggest that something
is needed.

Clem

<snip - stuff deleted>

PS: Apologies for the 'noise' at the foot of this message - nothing
that I can do about it, I'm afraid - sorry!

related financial instruments.