Date:      Wed, 27 Oct 1999 14:27:56 +0100 (BST)
From:      J McKitrick <jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        David Kurtzberg <david@cql.com>, CKimmerl@SARCOM.COM, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: "easy installation"!!!!! yeah right

Just a thought on how we might improve FBSD without making it bloatware...

Yes, I'm a newbie, and I just switched to FBSD after a year with various
Linux distros.  I would call myself a low intermediate user in Linux, and
an advancing beginner in FBSD.  But a few things come to mind that could
make installs easier for newbies.  First, for some reason, the only distro
that EVER got my screen resolution/Xserver settings right was TurboLinux.
No one else.  The rest all gave me 640x320.  So, I ended up editing every
XF86Config by hand, or just copying a reliable backup over the one that
was generated.  I also like the way linux handles laptop issues, such as
PCMCIA/APM.  As i understand it, improvements are in the works.

However, I also agree (now) with Wes Peters.  We don't want to make a
better Linux...  But, I also understand the frustration of these new
users.  I'm still experiencing rough areas.  And i haven't really even
started getting productive with my FBSD workstation.  I just surf the web
and learn the OS for now, before I take a chance with too much data ;-)
I little smoother install, maybe.  I'm not looking for lots of autoconfig
files, but maybe some shell scripts that can help out with some basic
stuff.  But so far, I'm learning on my own, little by little.

 -jm