Date:      Mon, 14 Jan 2002 22:46:43 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@freebsd.org>
To:        Len Conrad <LConrad@Go2France.com>
Cc:        Freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: external app logging to syslog

--v9Ux+11Zm5mwPlX6

On 2002-01-13 19:27:22, Len Conrad wrote:
> We have Imail's POP service logging to a FreeBSD4.4 machine.  The app is=
=20
> seen in the syslog lines as "POP3D".  It is being written to messages fil=
e=20
> with this as-installed syslog.conf line:
>=20
> *.notice;kern.debug;lpr.info;mail.crit;news.err; /var/log/messages
>=20
> How do we stop it from being logged there? under which facility.level is =
it=20
> being caught?

You can use the -v option to syslogd temporarily, to have syslog print
the numeric or name of each facility/priority in the log files.  This
will let you find out which pair of facility.priority is the one that
catches Imail's POP service.

For example, I killed syslogd while writing this message, and
restarted it with:

    # /usr/sbin/syslogd -ssvv

only to see a few seconds later in my logfile:

    Jan 14 22:45:04 <kern.info> hades syslogd: kernel boot file is /boot/ke=
rnel/kernel

--=20
Giorgos Keramidas . . . . . . . . . keramida@{ceid.upatras.gr,freebsd.org}
FreeBSD Documentation Project . . . http://www.freebsd.org/docproj/