Date:      Thu, 6 Sep 2001 16:20:33 -0500
From:      "Stephen Hilton" <nospam@hiltonbsd.com>
To:        "Freebsd Stable" <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        <Robin_Blanchard@gactr.uga.edu>
Subject:   Re: mount madness

From my reading of the links submitted by Dan Larsson, W2k does support
reading and writing of fat32x partitions, that would explain the 44GB fat32
partition that I access from SCSI based NTFS W2K installation on my
workstation, and when booted into Freebsd 4.3 on SCSI HD I can mount the
44GB partition also.

# mount_msdos /dev/ad0s1 /fat32/s1
mounts the 7GB 1st partition on the 1st IDE HD read/write

# mount_msdos -o rdonly /dev/ad0s2 /fat32/s2
mounts the 44GB 2nd partition on the 1st IDE HD read-only

Robin, recheck your drive jumpers (master/slave) and bios IDE setups, and
confirm that the drive is seen during the bios boot-up post screen if one is
available. I would set the second IDE disk as master or "only-drive" on the
second IDE channel with no slave device (check drive jumpering manual specs)
to trouble-shoot this problem.
Also have you created your mount point? (ls -la /mnt/fat32)

And as Chris Faulhaber asked
> What does 'fdisk ad1' show?

Regards,

Stephen Hilton

Dan Larsson wrote:

> On Thu, 6 Sep 2001, Robin P. Blanchard wrote:
>
> | windows 2000 can't even speak fat32x.
>
> Windows 2k does handle fat32,

http://www.microsoft.com/WINDOWS2000/techinfo/reskit/en/ProRK/prdf_fls_dxob.
htm