Date:      Thu, 20 Apr 1995 23:24:18 +0200
From:      Julian Howard Stacey <jhs@regent.e-technik.tu-muenchen.de>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        julian@ref.tfs.com, rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: [DEVFS] your opinions sought!

> >I personally have always prefered the flat scheme of /dev
> I like it fairly flat.

Suggestion: While deciding, assume sometime later you'll come across a half
dead singler user system, with no mouse, & no X-11, & you'll be poking about
in /dev, perhaps over a telnet, or a 24x80 old glass tty (or a pc running
dos-kermit etc) ..... consider how much info you'll be able to see in a
worst case 24x80 window ....  & just to complete the Armageddon scenario
...  assume /usr/bin/more is unmounted (eg corrupt /usr fs),
& assume Control-S flow control is broken somewhere.

When up multiuser, with /usr/bin/make & /usr/bin/gcc & /usr/bin/gdb &
/usr/bin/vi & /usr/X11R6/bin/X & all the other `luxury' tools from /usr,
`flat' or `deep' are both usable, but directories with _lots_ of stuff in
can be a pain for 24x80 screens.

Not that I'm any fan of deep nested dev dirs, just that I Know I'll be back
in /dev sometime on a well broken box, in 24x80 mode.

Julian S.