Date:      Wed, 18 Aug 1999 01:34:42 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>, mobile@FreeBSD.ORG, new-bus-arch@bostonradio.org, new-bus@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: New pccard kludge patches

--------
: The pccard-ep part is the name of the compatibility device that I've
: created.  There already is an ep0 in the isa part of the tree as a
: compatibility device I think...  I wanted it to print the actual
: device name...

... with the actual unit.  I was getting ep1 when I tried it the other
way.  Maybe the right thing for the isa compat devices to do is to
remove them as unattached children which consume unit numbers after
they are probed...

My current patches, not yet uploaded, generate:

pccard-ep0: <compat ep> at port 0x240-0x248 irq 15 slot 0 on pccard0

I was thinking of adding the info strings from the CIS in place of
"compat ep".  Might be a good test for the CIS reading functions that
have been talked about from time to time here that I've not
implemented.  I could cheat and have pccardd pass them down, but then
I'd have to break the ioctl again and I'm not sure I want to do that
for these patches.  Hmmm, I think that I can do this easily enough
inside pccard.c that it would be useful to both -current and -stable.
Sure would help the xircom driver (and a radio card driver that I've
not had time to work on in ages) and eliminate some horrible kludges
that are there now (and sadly needed now).

I also have some sio changes, but there is much work needed to be done
to properly rid the sio driver of isa_{get,set}_foo in all routines
except probe and attach on a real ISA bus.  Also need to break out the
ISA specific part of the probe/attach and the generic parts.  And
since it is sio, I gotta have set bruce-level much higher than I'm
used to.  Since the sio changes aren't done yet, I've not uploaded
things.  All I get is ENOMEM when I try to attach, and I know I've
broken something important in SIO that I've not run into yet.

Warner