Date:      Tue, 27 Aug 2002 12:25:40 -0400
From:      Dylan Carlson <absinthe@pobox.com>
To:        Ernst de Haan <znerd@FreeBSD.ORG>, Calvin Varney <calvin@varney.org>
Cc:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Port/package guidelines (Ant)

On Tuesday 27 August 2002 06:20am, Ernst de Haan wrote:

> It's trivial, *if* we knoiw exactly what we want. I intend to generate the
> build.xml file using XSLT and I'm an XSLT Wizard(TM) by now :)

I'd say "hooray" as long as it's as simple as setting a few vars in Makefile
which get passed into the build.xml.  What those vars should be, I haven't
given any thought to.

> > "doc-install" target for those who want the JavaDocs built and installed.
> > Other than that I can't think of any others (it may be too early in the
> > day yet).
>
> Then we still need to pass the installation directory for the docs, don't
> we? Or how would we determine this in the build file?

Nope.  Docs should be put into ${DOCSDIR} per our previous conversation.  If
the user really wants them in a different location they can override that in
the Makefile or simply copy/move them out after install.

I see the only exception being JDK/SDK API docs, which I think should go into
the directory where the JDK/SDK resides (e.g., $JAVA_HOME/doc/...) but that's
probably just my opinion.

> Yeah, good point! We could even have -cvs ports in addition to the existing
> -devel ports :-)

We should absolutely look to doing that.  If someone is using a -devel port
they are specifically looking for bleeding edge code, and CVS is as good as
it gets.

> Should the sources go below ${PREFIX}/src ? Need to check hier(7)...

hier(7) unfortunately doesn't address /usr/local at all, which is why it's a
little clusterfscked.   If I had to think about it though, ${PREFIX}/src
seems logical to me.

> Hmm, you're probably right. But then we need to pass a lot of variables to
> the Ant build system. Perhaps either using -Dpropertyname=value or by
> generating a .properties file...

Cleaner to do a .properties file, that way if something goes wrong during the
build and has to do with bad properties, we can have people copy the file
into the PR.  Otherwise the source of the problem might get lost in the
scroll during the build.

--
Dylan Carlson [absinthe@pobox.com]