Date:      Mon, 26 Aug 1996 21:09:38 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Stefan Esser <se@zpr.uni-koeln.de>
To:        wjw@IAEhv.nl (Willem Jan  Withagen)
Cc:        hardware@freebsd.org, scsi@freebsd.org, admin@IAEhv.nl
Subject:   Re: SCSI disks

Willem Jan Withagen writes:

 > Hi,
 >
 > Until recently we as an ISP were using Micropolis disk with pleasure.
 > But since several 4.3Gb started crashing, we've changed our view.
 >
 > So I'm now looking for new disks. I've got 2 offerings:
 > 	Seagate Barracuda 4.3 GB
 > 	Quantum XP34300S
 > The need to run on FreeBSD 2.0.5 and up.
 > Long agood I tested the quantum with an NCR 53810 and an Adaptec 1542B
 > and in both case it did not seem to work. Now things might have changed, but

Hmmm, that's surprising, since my current development system uses
a Quantum Atlas (though its the XP32150S, the 2GB version). This
drive worked with the NCR driver of Spring 1995 at least, when I
first tested it.

I'm quite sure that the Adaptec 1542 supported it as well, since
it is hard to find a device that doesn't work on the Adpatec, and
the Atlas is really well designed (IMHO).

The Quantum Grand-Prix (XP34301S) is a different beast. It has got
bad press because of many failed (or DOA) drives, and it is noisy
and significantly slower than the Atlas, though both are 7200RPM
drives.

You may also want to have a look at the IBM DHFS series, which is
also very fast and AFAIK reliable.

Can't comment on recent Seagate drives.

Regards, STefan