Date:      Tue, 13 Jun 2000 18:24:06 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <mark@ukug.uk.freebsd.org>
To:        FreeBSD List Listener <freebsd@bluepoint.com.cn>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: console reso.

On Tue, Jun 13, 2000 at 11:56:34AM +0800, FreeBSD List Listener wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 13, 2000 at 01:12:42AM +0100, Mark Ovens wrote:
> > On Mon, Jun 12, 2000 at 03:31:48PM -0700, carl wrote:
> > > I recently tried to get a 800x600 resolution console. As i read in the
> > > manual page for vidcontrol i put in the SC_PIXEL_MODE options in my kernel,
> > > i then config'd,installed, and reboted. The manual page then said to do
> > > " vidcontrol VESA_800x600 " ..after doing this command i got an error msg
> > > stating
> > > it could not raster device, operation not supported by device.  I have a
> > > stb nvidae velocity 128 agp card, in xwin my resolution is just fine at
> > > 1024x768 so i know it isnt a hardware problem.
> Please do a "boot -v" then check the "dmesg" output, to see if it says
> "VESA: 0 mode(s) found".
>
> I have an Inspiron 5000, with ATI Rage Mobility chip. The VESA bios
> works fine

It appears that ATI now do put VBE on-chip (in the Rage 128 cards).
From http://support.atitech.ca/infobase/3147.html

	Are there drivers for VESA VGA support for Rage 128 products?

	Many older DOS/Windows based games make use of VESA VGA
	run in order for these display modes to be available.

	Support for VESA VGA display modes is built directly into the
	BIOS of ATI's Rage 128 products. No additional software/driver
	is required for VESA VGA modes to be available for use.

	If you have any questions about the information above, contact
	ATI Technical Support and reference INFO-BASE file # 3147