Date:      Wed, 13 Aug 1997 23:56:18 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        "Norris, Toby T" <Toby.Norris@HSV.Boeing.com>
Cc:        "'support@freebsd.org'" <support@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Ports collection refuses to install from dos partition

On Wed, 13 Aug 1997, Norris, Toby T wrote:

> I have been having problems installing the FreeBSD ports collection.  My
> system configuration is as follows:
>
> CPU: Cyrix 166+
> Disks:  scsi controller = adaptec 2940
>            wd0 = 2GB EIDE
>            wd1 = 3 GB EIDE
>            sd0 = zip
>            sd1 = jazz
>            sd2 = 2 GB scsi
>
> I have successfully installed FreeBSD and everything including XWindows
> seems to work fine.  I was unable to install from the latest Walnut
> Creek CD since my CD reader is an unsupported IDE model.  So I just
> copied the entire CD to wd1s1 (a 2GB dos partition) to a directory named
> freebsd, then installed using boot floppy and the dos partition.

OK.  I'd suggest buying a SCSI CDROM since you already have the SCSI
controller.

> Everything went fine during  the install.  I have a /usr/ports directory
> with a Makefile.  However, I have no executables for any of the ports
> collection programs and no man pages for them.  I am especially in need
> of the g77 fortran compiler.  I have tried to build several of the ports
> collection programs but I get some message about being unable to fetch a
> needed file.  When I try to install anything more from the dos partition
> using /stand/sysinstall  I get the message that some index could not be
> found.

The ports are just patches that allow you to compile the program.  If you
drop into the port directory and type 'make' the port will fetch the
distribution program for you, if you have a network connection or have the
CD mounted, then patch & build the program.  Run 'make install' as root to
install the port into the system.

Take a look at http://www.freebsd.org/ports/ and that should help clear
you up.

Spam routed to /dev/null by Procmail    | Death to Cyberpromo