Date:      Thu, 7 Jun 2012 19:13:19 +0200
From:      Thierry Thomas <thierry@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Martin Wilke <miwi@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        x11@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: [CFT] Xorg 7.7 ready for testing!

--6c2NcOVqGQ03X4Wi

Le jeu  7 jui 12 =E0 14:37:53 +0200, Martin Wilke <miwi@FreeBSD.org>
 =E9crivait=A0:
> Hi Fans,

Hello Martin,

[Lists striiped to x11@ at your request, but please keep me Cc:]

> With the new mesa 8.0 release, accelerated support for a number of
> older graphic cards was dropped. At the moment we are not sure how to
> deal with that.We are thinking of just replacing mesa 7.11 with 8.0 or
> making a new flag like WITH_MESA=3D 7.11.2 / 8.0 in combination with
> WITH_NEW_XORG, and let the mesa 7.6.1 set as default together with the
> old xorg version. Obviosly the latter option make the already complex
> situation more complex. The problem is, users, especially  the new ones
> can easily get confused with it. Another issue is, the packages.We
> can't deliver a package set with the new Xorg releases. This means
> users with new hardware will have to compile everything by themselves.

Why don't you introduce a slave port? Let's say we could have the
default xorg metaport for bleeding-edge machines, and xorg-legacy for
the older ones; then both sets of packages would be built.

Of course, the dependency chain should be relax enough so that it could
be satisfied by any of them, and ALT_PKGDEP should be set by
portupgrade's user.

Regards,
--=20
Th. Thomas.