Date:      Thu, 15 Jun 2000 10:54:56 -0400 (EDT)
From:      David Gilbert <dgilbert@velocet.ca>
To:        FreeBSD-wizards@freebsd.org, freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   "frag-anyways" knob.

As offensive as this is, there are enough badly firewalled sites out
there that send 1500 byte packets with the DF (don't frag) bit set and
firewall out returning must-frag packets that I could really use a
patch that broke RFC and fragmented the packets anyways.

Due to the stupidity of our local telco (among other problems) we're
faced with a link that has a lower-than-1500 MTU and the only current
way for our users to hit this community of broken sites is to use our
proxy.  For some, this is an inadequate solution.

Furthermore, there exist online games that count on a 1500 byte MTU
_and_ still set the DF bit.

I could really use a sysctl knob that would fragment the packet
regardless of the DF bit.  It might also be prudent to clear the DF
bit in generated packets :).

Dave.