Date:      Tue, 21 Sep 1999 21:07:22 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <mark@ukug.uk.freebsd.org>
To:        Luis Rios <lrios@NetCentric.com>
Cc:        "'questions@freebsd.org'" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: KSCD...

On Tue, Sep 21, 1999 at 02:57:11PM -0400, Luis Rios wrote:
> I've just recently installed FreeBSD3.2 on a pentium 166 with 64M of ram
> along with KDE. The problem lies when I try to access the CD players app
> (KSCD) . Everytime I try to run it starts, stops, and then dumps core.. The
> only thing that I can think of is the device for the CD-ROM is incorrect or
> PNP is not enabled (I removed it from the kernel). Has anyone had this
> problem or are things just not configured correctly?? Any advice or hints
> would be greatly appreciated....
> I installed KDE via pkg_add...

<sigh>
Why can't the KDE "fix" this? kscd uses rmatcd0 as its default CD
device. This is the proprietry Matsushita/Panasonic interface. It's
from the days of 2x drives. Who uses *those* anymore?

Anyway, either start it with ``-dev /dev/<your_raw_cd_device>'' (I
think that is the correct option, it may just be ``-d /dev/.....''.

Better still, add the following to ~/.kde/share/config/kscdrc

[General]
CDDevice=/dev/cd0c
              ^^^^

Change this to suit. ISTR that someone said that it needs to be
the raw device for IDE CD-ROMs but I'm not sure, mine's SCSI.

There is a catch-22 with kscd, the kscdrc file is empty until you
run kscd the first time, once you get it started you can add the
above line via the options menu, but you can't start kscd until
you know how to specify the correct device :-/

> Please reply to the sending address as I am not currently on the mailing
> list...
>
> Thanks..

STATE-OF-THE-ART: Any computer you can't afford.
OBSOLETE: Any computer you own.