Date:      Tue, 28 Nov 1995 01:12:48 -0800 (PST)
From:      -Vince- <vince@apollo.COSC.GOV>
To:        "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>, joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: schg flag on make world in -CURRENT

On Mon, 27 Nov 1995, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> On Mon, 27 Nov 1995, -Vince- wrote:
>
> > > 2)	Your pty must be marked "secure".  Currently, it is marked as
> > > 	"network", mostly because networks aren't secure.  Since you
> > > 	can't pick your pty, you pretty much have to lett all of them
> > > 	in.  Be sure to put "Welcome, system crackers!" in your login
> > > 	prompt in gettytab.  8-).
> >
> > 	So that's it, the pty must be secure but I can't really control
> > that since I thought you can't telnet or rlogin into a secured pty.  Not a
> > bad idea for the login prompt =)
> >

> 	All "secure" means is that it is considered to be a secure means
> (ie. untappable) of connecting to that site.  For instance, I would imagine
> that a machine sitting behind a very good firewall could have its pty's
> considered "secure", which would allow you to have all you machines on the
> local, behind-the-wall, network "open" to each other
>
> 	Usually, a "secure" line would be a leased line between two
> points, where the line is nice a shielded from any outside eavesdropping...
> which, nowadays, doesn't exist, does it? (rhetorical question, please don't
> answer? :) )

	I thought secure just meant no remote logins as root ;)

Cheers,
-Vince- vince@COSC.GOV - GUS Mailing Lists Admin - http://www.COSC.GOV/~vince
UC Berkeley AstroPhysics - Electrical Engineering (Honorary B.S.)
Chabot Observatory & Science Center - Board of Advisors
Running FreeBSD - Real UN*X for Free!
Linda Wong/Vivian Chow/Hacken Lee/Danny Chan/Priscilla Chan Fan Club
Mailing Lists Admin