Date:      30 May 00 08:42:35 MDT
From:      Tom Hines2 <tom.hines2@usa.net>
To:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org

Linux convert here.  I ran Linux for several years.  I tried Redhat 5.2,
Redhat 6.0, Mandrake 6.0, and finally Redhat 6.1.  I wanted to try Debian=
, but
they were too slow getting out a release with the 2.2 kernel.  My goal wa=
s to
give up Windows entirely, but I couldn't because my ppp connection was
unreliable in Linux.

I started eyeballing FreeBSD about a year ago and really wanted to try it=
=2E =

The ppp situation in Linux finally made me switch.  I spent all day Satur=
day
installing and configuring 4.0-RELEASE.  All went smoothly.  I had a litt=
le
trouble getting my ppp connection configured, but once up, it ran great.

My verdict?  I love it!  Now I'm back where I was with Linux, with my bla=
ckbox
window manager and all my favorite dock apps, although I'm taking a serio=
us
look at gkrellm (http://gkrellm.net) as a replacement for those :-).

I can't wait to get back home to continue tweaking it and do the one thin=
g I
was never able to do with Linux -- get some work done! :-)

I just wanted to share my story and say that I was happy to be amongst th=
freebsd-newbies.  See you online.

Tom Hines
Rockville, MD