Date:      Thu, 15 Jul 1999 11:51:49 +0930 (CST)
From:      Mark Newton <newton@internode.com.au>
To:        lyndon@orthanc.ab.ca
Cc:        ben@skunk.org, green@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Swap overcommit

lyndon@orthanc.ab.ca wrote:

 > The semantics of malloc() have been defined since almost the dawn of
 > time. From the current manpage:
 >   RETURN VALUES
 >      The malloc() and calloc() functions return a pointer to the allocated
 >      memory if successful; otherwise a NULL pointer is returned.
 > Nowhere does it say that allocated memory might not exist. Nowhere
 > does it say that I have to touch all the allocated pages to make
 > sure they are really there. Nowhere does it say process death at
 > some non-deterministic time in the future might be a side effect
 > of calling malloc().

It's just using a different definition of "successful return of malloc()"
to the one you're trying to use :-)

  - mark

----
Mark Newton                               Email:  newton@internode.com.au (W)
Network Engineer                          Email:  newton@atdot.dotat.org  (H)
Internode Systems Pty Ltd                 Desk:   +61-8-82232999