Date:      Tue, 15 Aug 2000 17:10:25 -0500
From:      Mark Hummel <mhumm@ispchannel.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Something's Wrong - scratch 4.1 install - pls help!!!

I'm trying to install 4.1 STABLE via FTP.

Here's some history:

1)  Had 4.0 STABLE installed from CD ROM  for 4 months to learn FBSD.

2)  Ran out of hard drive space so I decided to repartition my BSD drive
from 1087M to 2800M.

3)  Since BSD is going to be deleted anyway, I decided to install 4.1
STABLE via FTP

4)  Floppy creation - easy!  Floppy boot - easy! Kernel config - easy!

5)  After selecting all my options, I get the following error message
for every download in sequence:

Unable to transfer the bin ditribution from
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/

I was told by a friend that the site was down for a while today so I
waited and tried again 2 hours later.  Then 4 hours later with the same
results.  I decided to reboot to Warp and check the site.  It was up and
running!!!

BSD apparently recongizes my cable modem and network card (same set up I
used with 4.0) since it was able to automatically capture my hostname
and ISP server.  I can even watch my modem light flash for a second
until it errors out.

Any ideas???

Mark