Date:      Wed, 20 Apr 2005 01:12:30 +0200
From:      Max Laier <max@love2party.net>
To:        freebsd-pf@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   New PF (OpenBSD 3.7 ***ALPHA-preview***)

--nextPart6834756.50gp7hMCWt

All,

at:
    http://people.freebsd.org/~mlaier/pf37/

you will find the first shot at the long awaited import of a new version of=
=20
pf.  This is level with what is likely to be shipped as OpenBSD 3.7 and=20
includes *most* of the features.  Some are not yet implemented:

 - Filtering on route labels (we don't have any).
 - Return-rst on IP-less bridges (bridge support is still behind; There is=
=20
   work ongoing to improve this as well, though.).
 - Congestion prevention/graceful comeback (subject to future work).

There are, however, some hightlights that came with OpenBSD 3.6 and will be=
=20
coming with OpenBSD 3.7 (from the OpenBSD release notes):

 + pfctl(8) now provides a rules optimizer to help improve filtering speed.
 + pf, now supports nested anchors.
 + Support limiting TCP connections by establishment rate, automatically=20
   adding flooding IP addresses to tables and flushing states=20
   (max-src-conn-rate, overload <table>, flush global).
 + Improved functionality of tags (tag and tagged for translation rules,=20
   tagging of all packets matching state entries).
 + Improved diagnostics (error messages and additional counters from=20
   pfctl -si).
 + New keyword set skip on to skip filtering on arbitrary interfaces, like=
=20
   loopback.=20
 + Several bugfixes improving stability.

This import is in a very early stage and you should keep this in mind!=20

However, it should build and boot just fine.  I have done some basic tests =
to=20
weed out the common problems seen during the last imports, but didn't do=20
extensive testing yet.  If you are in a position where you can test this, I=
=20
am looking forward to getting your feedback!

Updates will be posted to the freebsd-pf mailing list.  Thanks.

=2D-=20