Date:      Wed, 4 Apr 2001 08:01:41 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Joseph Scott <joseph.scott@owp.csus.edu>
To:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   AlphaServer 1200 install woes

	I've finally got around to trying out my first FreeBSD install on
an Alpha.  We've got an AlphaServer 1200 that's been sitting here that I
finally be able to put to work if I can get FreeBSD installed on it :-)

	I tried the 4.3-RC2 install floppies and ISO, but both fail.  The
CD install will eventually start spewing errors about the device no longer
being valid.  The floppy install gets to the 'FreeBSD/Alpha SRM disk boot'
line, then the build line and the memory line and starts up the dwidle.
The dwidle goes for awhile and then just stops.  The floppy light
continues to go on and then off pretty much for ever.  After doing some
searching of the lists it appears that I'm not the only with a 1200 that
has this issue.  I came across a message from Andrew Gallatin
(gallatin@cs.duke.edu) where he mentions trying his copy of loader and
boot1 at http://www.cs.duke.edu/~gallatin/boot/.  I've tried this and it's
also failed in the same exact way.

	Being pretty new to Alphas I'd appreciate any hints/suggestions
that would be appropiate for me to try.

	Other points of interest :
-  I updated the SRM with updates from the Compaq web site, so that should
   be ok
-  This box has been running only DEC Unix for the past 2+ years, it's
   never has NT on it.

-Joseph