Date:      Wed, 23 Aug 1995 06:00:21 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        alain@Wit401402.student.utwente.nl, jkh@time.cdrom.com
Cc:        current@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Of slices and boot code..

>> It's kind of a pity since I've gotten a lot of tech support emails
>> from people who were very confused that / showed up on `sd0a' while
>> everything else was on a slice.  It makes a somewhat confusing model

>Both in the documentation on partitioning your disk on the installation
>disk (file '.../partition.hlp') and in '/usr/share/FAQ/Text/diskspace.FAQ'
>the terms are interchanged.

They seem to be quite consistent.  BSD partitions are named partitions
and DOS partitions are named slices.  The native partitions have to be
named partitions for political reasons and the foreign partitions have
to be named something different to avoid confusion.

>The people that Jordan gets mail from might be confused by what is
>referred to as the "compatibility slice" in '.../partition.hlp'. The

They are confused that it gets, and perhaps that it doesn't get used in
all cases.  It only needs to be used for the boot partition (sd0a,
perhaps).  For the usr partition on sd0, you could use sd0e on the
compatibility slice, or equivalently, sd0s2e if sd0s2 is the
compatibility slice, or differently, sd0s3a if sd0s2 is the
compatibility slice that you don't want to put usr on for some reason
and sd0s3 is another FreeBSD slice.

>question IMHO really is then: is there a chance of _that_ going away..?

Low.  sd0[a-h] is the native name.  The compatibility slice may become
unused on systems that can run DOS.

Bruce