Date:      Mon, 31 Aug 1998 08:43:04 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        =?iso-8859-1?Q?Jukka_Simil=E4?= <lmkjuksi@info1.info.tampere.fi>, newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        tips@egroups.com
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD-Questions

On Sunday, 30 August 1998 at 13:01:58 +0300, Jukka Similä wrote:
> Has anyone noticed that asking a question in -questions might be very
> frustrating; I have now asked several times about my cd-rom problem, and
> I haven't received a single answer - Not even "look at the mailing list
> archives" one. I have checked out bug-reports, and obviously my problem
> is a closed case, that just doesn't help me a bit: I have done just what
> reads in mail archives - I still got the same problem.
>
> But I really am happy we got this marvellous support for FreeBSD, if one
> has a problem, well just ask in -questions and voila! One maybe gets an
> answer, maybe not, but who cares, everything is fine as long as we can
> ASK the questions, nobody really wants to get any answers. And besides,
> I like nothing better than talking to my computer, expecting no answer.

*sigh*

Yes, it's very possible not to get an answer.  I wonder how many of
these questions do go unanswered.  That's one of the reasons why I
wrote http://www.lemis.com/questions.html.

Rick Hamell mentioned one reason: people who answer -questions do it
in their spare time.  I haven't seen anything from Doug White for a
while, and I've been pretty busy too, so it looks as if you've chosen
a bad time.

Post your message again, and I'll reply (but it might be "beats me").

> And if Sue ever again want's to point me to -questions I think I'll skip
> it instantly, it's much faster to read every single manual page through
> there is to read than ask anything in -questions.

Definitely.  If you can find an answer in the man pages, don't bug
-questions.

Greg