Date:      Wed, 25 Aug 1999 15:50:43 +0100
From:      Cillian Sharkey <cillian@baker.ie>
To:        biozz <biozz@mail.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re:

> I HAVE DAMAGED HDD in /usr area
> FSCK can not resolve problem and CLEAN FILE SYSTEM into CLEAN BIT
> that's why i can not boot machine, and mount File System
> Data on /usr needed by me, and I need only to boot onse or twice to
> save it in another place
> I need too CLEAN IT MANUALY -how to make it ?

Normally fsck will fix any dirty filesystems at boot time, but if
it fails it will drop you into single user mode. Press return
when it asks what shell to run (/bin/sh is default)

Then just type 'fsck /usr' and if it cleans it ok, type 'mount /usr'

That should fix the problem. Either you had a really _bad_ crash
or your /etc/fstab is not quite right..
(You should also make sure to use soft-updates)

Cillian