Date:      Fri, 1 Mar 1996 10:34:14 -0500
From:      "Garrett A. Wollman" <wollman@lcs.mit.edu>
To:        "Richard Wackerbarth" <rkw@dataplex.net>
Cc:        "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Eliminating Duplicate Postings

<<On 1 Mar 1996 07:08:47 -0600, "Richard Wackerbarth" <rkw@dataplex.net> said:

> The rule base would have to be a little more complicated. Mail to x, cc to y
> might be a little harder to justify sending only to y when both x and y are
> lists.

Um, mail to `x' should always be sent to `x', regardless of the value
of any other header fields.  (And don't start talking about Reply-To,
we had that discussion two and a half years ago, and two years ago,
and one and a half years ago, and one year ago...)

> Alternately, might it be possible, but more complicated, to do something
> similar by detecting duplicate messages. You can apply a cannonical filter to
> recognize that a message will be received by a higher priority list.
> The highest priority list would send one copy to everyone on any of the lists
> referenced.

Alternatively, users can apply a filter to their incoming mail that
filters out duplicate message-ids.

The rest of the problem is user education.  I try to remind people not
to post to multiple lists when I notice it, but it's a constant
battle.

-GAWollman

--
Garrett A. Wollman   | Shashish is simple, it's discreet, it's brief. ...
wollman@lcs.mit.edu  | Shashish is the bonding of hearts in spite of distance.