Date:      Tue, 08 Oct 2002 14:20:11 -0500
From:      Martin McCormick <martin@dc.cis.okstate.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Safe Use of cvsup

	If one uses an incorrect tag in cvsup, it tends to
destroy the /usr/src tree, a sort of make zapworld.  Would there
be anything wrong with backing up the /usr/src directory to a tar
file before running cvsup so that if the worst happens, one can
restore the directory to what it was before the mishap?

	I am building a new FreeBSD system from a CDROM that is a
bit out of date so I need to upgrade it after installation.

	The only thing I was thinking of was that there might be
links or something else not obvious that would make the restored
/usr/src useless.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
OSU Center for Computing and Information Services Network Operations Group