Date:      Thu, 07 May 1998 21:40:58 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Chris Fanning <cfanning@jingoro.prevmed.sunysb.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: MBUFs and IPFW revisited

>in my config file and have tried:
>options NMBCLUSTERS=1024
>
>as well which comes from LINT.  Before I configured ipfw, I had 1024 clusters
>and after, only 100something.  I'm not about to compile another kernel w/o
>ipfw to see if this is the cause because at present I really need it. :)
>
>1. So, the question becomes, does configuring ipfw into the kernel change the
>behavior of NMBCLUSTERS or reset it somewhere?

   netstat -m reports current/peak. The 'current' should shrink as expected,
and the peak will indicate the most that have been in-use at one time since
the system was booted. Does this answer your question? netstat in -current
reports current/peak/max and is thus easier to figure out how many are
actually configured (max).

-DG

David Greenman