Date:      Fri, 3 Dec 1999 23:26:04 -0800 (PST)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@hub.freebsd.org>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Importing OpenSSL

I would like to get OpenSSL imported into -current. I currently have the
build framework almost ready to go, I'm just running some buildworld tests
to make sure it's working properly.

OpenSSL would give a number of potential benefits. Some of the coolest
ones are:

* Precursor to importing OpenSSH and providing secure network connectivity
out-of-the-box

* Possibility of teaching fetch to talk to https servers (i.e. talk SSL)

* Fixing the HUGE SECURITY HOLE in CTM, namely the fact that it provides
no authentication of what it's stuffing into your source tree (it only
provides integrity).

* Integration of cryptography into other parts of the system where it
would be useful.

There are potential issues which need to be addressed before this can
proceed, namely how to best deal with US patent restrictions on e.g. the
RSA code. What I'm thinking of is this:

* distribution sites within the US carry an "openssl-lite" distribution
which has all the RSA code removed, plus anything else which is usage
restricted (IDEA?). This absolves them from any legal liability for
providing patented source code. International sites carry the full
version.

* Supposing someone in the US downloads the RSA code from an international
site, the RSA code would only be built conditional on USA_RESIDENT == NO.
Currently we don't set USA_RESIDENT out of the box (AFAIK) - this would
mean that US people have to take explicit action in order to have RSA
binary code built. At least this way no-one will accidentally ship a
product containing RSA, although I don't know if it's still illegal to
just possess (non-RSAREF) RSA source without a license.

This has the downside that international folks have to also take explicit
action to get RSA built, but it's probably better to be conservative and
document the process well.

I think it's high time we expanded our cryptographic support beyond the
bare minimum of DES - anyone violently disagree?

Kris