Date:      Mon, 22 May 2006 10:13:12 -0400
From:      Mark Allman <mallman@icir.org>
To:        Marcin Jessa <lists@yazzy.org>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org, mag@intron.ac
Subject:   Re: How to Quicken TCP Re-transmission?

--=_bOundary

> You can take a look at SCPS - http://www.scps.org/ Their protocol is
> used on lossy links with big latency and packet loss (such as
> satellites) and overcomes shortcomings of TCP.  It works with divert
> mechanism of FreeBSD and I ported the tap device part as well to both
> NetBSD / FreeBSD (experimental).

It's not clear to me that this is going to help.  Fundamentally, TCP and
SCTP share the same congestion control response.  At 30% packet loss
SCTP ought to be as unusable as TCP.  Both consider losses to be
indications of network congestion.

SCTP does have some things built-in that need to be added onto TCP
(e.g., SACK).  So, we could expect more consistent behavior from SCTP
across implementations and platforms.  But, in the end the performance
of both is proportional to 1/sqrt(p) where p is the loss rate.  So, as
the loss rate increases performance decreases.  At 30% you're
essentially cooked no matter which you use.

allman

--=_bOundary

--=_bOundary--