Date:      Tue, 11 Sep 2001 08:47:00 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        bmah@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Handbook installation chapter for Alpha architecture

Bruce A. Mah writes:
 > Hi folks--
 >
 > Some time ago, I observed that the Handbook installation chapter was
 > oriented very strongly towards the i386 architecture.  In an effort to
 > remedy this situation, what I've done is to bring the Alpha-specific
 > parts of the RELNOTESng install document into a form usable in the
 > Handbook.  By nik's (very reasonable) request, I've held off on
 > committing this, but instead am posting a diff at the end of this
 > message.

Wow.  You've done an excellent job! My feedback  is:

- mention that IDE disks are called 'dqX' (rather than dkX) on most
alpha platforms.  The miata is an exception.

- instruct them to pass null file and flags args to the installation
boot.  Eg:

boot -fl '' -fi '' DEVICE

(The loader pays attention to them & may try to load a file that
doesn't exist if they're not blanked after installing, say, linux.)

- instruct them to blank the boot_file and boot_osflags variables
after install, in addition to setting bootdef_dev

Cheers,

Drew