Date:      Mon, 29 May 1995 11:39:12 -0400 (EDT)
From:      kmitch@nando.net (kmitch)
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Adaptec 2940 different From 2940W??

I have been trying to get an Adaptec 2940W working with 3 SCSI-2 devices.  None
of the devices are wide, but I was under the understanding that the 2940W could
handle either or BOTH.

The devices I am trying to get running are:

Micropolis 4110S 1.02 Gig Hard Drive (ID 1)
Teac CD-50 CDROM (ID 4)
Conner CFP1080S 1.03 Gig Hard Drive (ID 6)

The problem I am having is when the SCSI bus gets a lot of activity (ie
compiliation or file copying), I get Timeout errors.  I have tried various
things to try and find the problem.  Lowering the Sync Rate, Disabling Sync
Negotiation, and Disabling Disconnection.  I have also tried eliminating
different devices, but no matter what I try I get timeout errors.

I had a 2940 (no wide) in the machine for a little while (the place where I
bought it, sent me the wrong one by mistake), and I didn't have any problem with
that card.  Is there anyone out there with a 2940W that has had success??