Date:      Sat, 11 Jan 1997 13:58:29 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Oliver Wilson <owilson@cam.org>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Can /usr be expanded ? I'm almost out of space!

On Sat, 11 Jan 1997, Oliver Wilson wrote:

> I'm running FreeBSD 2.1.5 with the following ufs configuration:
>
> Filesystem  1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Mounted on
> /dev/sd0a       31775    18073    11160    62%    /
> /dev/sd0s2g      7199       40     6584     1%    /home
> /dev/sd0s2f    267679   207522    38743    84%    /usr
> /dev/sd0s2e     29727    18113     9236    66%    /var
>
> I also have a DOS partition with 200mb free that I'd like FreeBSD to
> use, preferably under /usr. Is it possible to do this, and how should I
> proceed?

You can't directly expand a partition (AFAIK).  You can make a new
partition and move part of your existing /usr heirarchy under it, ie
/usr/home, /usr/local, and so forth, and make symlinks to the new
locations.

> If not, please suggest alternate ways for FreeBSD to utilize the extra
> 200mb.

You'll have to use FIPS to split that 200mb off into a new slice, then
delete it, make a FreeBSD slice, disklabel, and mount it.

I will send you the long-way make disk info I have, it details how to
wrangle with fdisk.  I haven't done this personally, so use what you can
and ask if you have questions.