Date:      Sun, 25 Jun 2000 13:24:47 -0400
From:      "George Hartz" <georgeh@blowtorch.com>
To:        "Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group" <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>, "Narvi" <narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee>
Cc:        "Stephan Holtwisch" <sh@rookie.org>, <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: jail(8) Honeypots

IANAL, but I'm fairly certain that is not entrapment. Entrapment entails a
situation where someone causes, one way or another, an individual to do
something they would not ordinarily have done in a similar situation, with
the purpose of being able to prosecute them for that activity.

That's why law enforcement officers can conduct stings. In a simple example,
a john can be arrested for solicitation of prostitution if he approaches the
undercover officer and proposes the arrangement, but not if the interaction
is prompted by the officer, because in the latter case you can't prove that
its an activity that the individual would have undertaken if not prompted.

Its not entrapment, in the case of setting up a fake buggy application to
entice someone to attempt to break into your system because they didn't know
it was fake, and were not coerced into finding or attempting the break-in as
a result of your actions. Had the buggy software been a real installation,
the individual in question would have still done that.

That's the case in the U.S. at least, that may be different in other parts
of the world.