Date:      Mon, 25 Mar 2002 23:50:59 -0800
From:      Richard Johnson <raj@cisco.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Question re. tcp keepalives

I noticed that with previous versions of FreeBSD (such as 4.3) I could
iconify an xterm window, go on a trip for a week, even taking my
computer with me and reconfiguring the ethernet interface, then bring it
back, reconfigure the ethernet back to the same address, and finally
uniconify the xterm window, and if nothing had done any output the
window would still be there!  I notice that this capability fails to
function in 4.4 (and also in MacOS X, by the way).

Looking at kernel variables I found:

% sysctl -a | grep keepalive
net.inet.tcp.always_keepalive: 1

so I changed it to "0" figuring this would take care of the issue.  It
didn't.  Now I'm working on MacOS X and I noticed the same kernel
variable and that it's already "0".  Having verified that this is FALSE
on both the MacOS X and the FreeBSD system, if I put either system to
sleep for more than an hour or so (I'm sure of the exact timing) I
notice that the connection dies.

Is there some way I get back the capability to leave TCP connections
suspended for long periods of time?  It was really nice!

/raj