Date:      Sat, 16 May 2015 14:05:08 -0700
From:      Tim Kientzle <tim@kientzle.com>
To:        mcgovern@beta.com
Cc:        freebsd-arm <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Building RPI2-B (and RPI?)

> On May 15, 2015, at 6:58 PM, Brian J. McGovern <mcgovern@beta.com> =
wrote:
>=20
> All,
>  I've noticed a lot of progress recently on the RPI2-B platform, and
> I'm looking to get up and running. I have an image that was posted the
> list a week or two back running, but I want to get up to =
bleeding-edge.
>=20
>  I've seen some emails about changes in the build methods for
> "supported" platforms, and IIRC, many of the crochet-supported =
platforms
> were impacted, as there were issues keeping things in synch.
>=20
>  Are the RPI2-B images (and optionally RPI) still being built via the
> crochet tool, or is there a new method around for which I've yet to =
find
> the documentation?

Glen is building a new tool for use in FreeBSD=E2=80=99s =E2=80=98make =
release=E2=80=99
process.  That will be used for the =E2=80=9Cofficial=E2=80=9D images =
going forward.

Crochet is still being actively maintained.  It is maintained
separately from the FreeBSD source tree so there are
occasional mismatches.

There are other tools around, but I=E2=80=99m less familiar with them
and will let other folks explain them.

If you=E2=80=99re familiar with FreeBSD=E2=80=99s build system and =
understand
the RPI2-B boot process (which is a bit involved), it=E2=80=99s not very
difficult to build your own images =E2=80=9Cfrom scratch=E2=80=9D using =
just
a FreeBSD source checkout and the appropriate u-boot port.

Once you have a system running, of course, you also have the
option of upgrading it from source directly:
    $ svnlite checkout https://svn.freebsd.org/base/head /usr/src
    $ cd /usr/src
Read the UPGRADING file for instructions.  (Caveat:  This
requires a few gigabytes of free disk space and requires more
than 1GB of RAM, so you=E2=80=99ll need to configure swap space as =
well.)

Tim