Date:      Tue, 24 Oct 1995 15:46:57 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        mcw@hpato.aus.hp.com (M C Wong)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: portable shell scripts (csh vs Bourne/Korn shell)

M C Wong stands accused of saying:
>    I wonder if anyone has any experience with supporting/maintaining
> complicated environment with PORTABLE shell scripts (csh flavours and
> Bourne and/or Korn shell flavours) for csh-type users and sh-type users ?
>
>    To both categories of users, all the utilities and environemnt MUST
> be the same in terms commands and expected behaviours.
>
>    I am after some good tips for maintaing a large and complex environemnt
> (some 40 developers) without having to double the effort for writing 2
> different flavours of scripts.

Begin all of your scripts with

#!/bin/sh

And use sh for all of the scripts.  This is rudimentary shell programming.
(Although I may be misinterpreting your requirements)

]] High-speed data acquisition and                                      [[
]] realtime instrument control          (ph/fax) +61-8-267-3039         [[
]] My car has "demand start" -Terry Lambert  UNIX: live FreeBSD or die! [[