Date:      Wed, 3 Jul 2002 01:42:13 +0200
From:      "Stefan Dens" <stefan.dens@pandora.be>
To:        "Steve McGhee" <stevem@lmri.ucsb.edu>, <snort-users@lists.sourceforge.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-security@freebsd.org>, <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: [Snort-users] instant snort sigs for new vulnerabilites

Hi,

Well, you can do that with snortcenter, you can adjust rules to your own
network setting and update them from the internet without changing your own
configuration.
The only problem is that snortcenter needs build-in user authentication, if
you want to run it from a cron job with lynx or wget. I will make an option
to disable it for auto-update.
http://users.pandora.be/larc

(Just a remark: if to many people are gone use some sort of auto-update
utility, to fetch the snortrules from the snort website, I'll guess there
bandwidth will be gone. And I know that there is a checksum for the
snortrules file, but it seems to change every hour without there is a change
to the rules.)

Stefan Dens