Date:      Thu, 10 Apr 1997 21:56:09 -0500
From:      Joe Diehl <joed@ksu.edu>
To:        install@freebsd.org
Subject:   Installation of FreeBSD on a headless pc?

Greetings,

I was wondering what it would take to get a boot floppy compiled with
the serial console device and setup so that I can simply put the floppy in
my machine and turn it on and control the install via the console.

I suppose that in addition to this request that I'm also looking for
the installer to install a kernel with all the serial console stuff already
in the kernel.  At least enough for me to get the machine running and
compile my own kernel.

I would look at doing this myself (and it's probably pretty straight
forward) except that I'm not sure how to read the existing FreeBSD
boot floppy long enough to drop a new kernel in place.

Essentially I'm looking at building a FreeBSD based firewall.. The
machine is going to be headless, and so I'd just assume not have to
take my desktop workstation apart for the monitor and video card.

Please CC: replies to me (joed@ksu.edu) as I'm not currently subscribed
to -install.

Thanks

---