Date:      Mon, 26 Apr 1999 14:20:45 +0300
From:      "Andy V. Oleynik" <andyo@prime.net.ua>
To:        Stan Brown <stanb@awod.com>
Cc:        Free BSD Questions list <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: X server has "too many" colors?

AFAIK there is an entry in section Screen of /etc/XF86Config:
"Depth [8-24]" wich allow U to use correspondent color depth.
My contains:
Section "Screen"
   Driver          "Accel"
   Device          "Trio64V+"
   Monitor         "AMIGA"
   DefaultColorDepth 8
   BlankTime       0
   SuspendTime     0
   OffTime         0
   SubSection "Display"
      Depth        24
      Modes        "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
      Virtual       1024 768
      ViewPort     0 0
   EndSubSection
   SubSection "Display"
      Depth        16
      Modes        "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
   EndSubSection
   SubSection "Display"
      Depth        8
      Modes        "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
      Virtual       800 600
      ViewPort     0 0
   EndSubSection
[skip]
Of cause ur videocard must have appropriate amount
of VRAM.
As for primary questions - it's look like bug in the prog
if some another prog can use full colourdepth.

Stan Brown wrote:

>         I am trying to run a vendor supplied X task displaying on my FreeBSD
>         machine. My FreeBSD machine is configured for 64K colors. The app keeps
>         core dumping :-(
>
>         The vendor swears that I have "To Many Colors", and that it will run if
>         I reduce my colors to 256. I really don;t want to reduce the colors to
>         this.
>
>         Does this make any sense? How could to many colors cause a problem? I
>         could see too fwe, but to many?
>
>         Any X coders got an opinion on this?
>
> --
> Stan Brown     stanb@netcom.com                                    843-745-3154
> Westvaco
> Charleston SC.
> --
> Windows 98: n.
>         useless extension to a minor patch release for 32-bit extensions and
>         a graphical shell for a 16-bit patch to an 8-bit operating system
>         originally coded for a 4-bit microprocessor, written by a 2-bit
>         company that can't stand for 1 bit of competition.
> -
> (c) 1999 Stan Brown.  Redistribution via the Microsoft Network is prohibited.

WBW  Andy V. Oleynik  (When U work in virtual office
                       U have good chance to obtain virtual money ö%-)