Date:      Tue, 13 Mar 2001 15:16:16 +1100
From:      "Tarragon Allen" <melange@n12turbo.com>
To:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Freebsd not seeing partitions correctly

>I have a 15gig drive with two partitions. one is 10GB the other is 5GB. On
the 10GB
>I have winME, I want to install freebsd on the 5GB. Well the problem is
that when I
>try to install FreeBSD and I am in Fdisk it only see's 2GB.

>This is what is showing up:
>Disk Geometry: 256cyls/255 heads/63 sectors = 4112640 sectors (2008MB)

FreeBSD isn't detecting your disk geometry correctly, or is getting confused
by the BIOS settings.  I saw a fix for this recently on the OpenBSD list
which involved calculating an alternate geometry and entering these values
in manually, but I'm not sure on the details, sorry.  The thing that gives
it away is the maxed out value for "heads" (255 is the max value).