Date:      Fri, 26 May 1995 13:23:14 -0400
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@halloran-eldar.lcs.mit.edu>
To:        Gene Stark <gene@starkhome.cs.sunysb.edu>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   gdb broken (can't find stack)

<<On Fri, 26 May 1995 01:59:11 -0400, Gene Stark <gene@starkhome.cs.sunysb.edu> said:

> For my May 20 compiled gdb, I just observed that it couldn't find a stack
> in a core dump file, though it seemed to be able to do it when tracing
> an inferior:

> 	gdb a.out
> 	(gdb) bt
> 	No stack.

Looks to me like you didn't specify a core file to read from...

wollman@khavrinen(542)$ cat
^\Quit (core dumped)
wollman@khavrinen(543)$ gdb /usr/src/bin/cat/obj/cat cat.core
GDB is free software and you are welcome to distribute copies of it
 under certain conditions; type "show copying" to see the conditions.
There is absolutely no warranty for GDB; type "show warranty" for details.
GDB 4.13 (i386-unknown-freebsd),
Copyright 1994 Free Software Foundation, Inc...(no debugging symbols found)...
Core was generated by `cat'.
Program terminated with signal 3, Quit.
#0  0x9c25 in read ()
(gdb) bt
#0  0x9c25 in read ()
#1  0x1d98 in raw_cat ()
#2  0x1cef in raw_args ()
#3  0x17e6 in main ()

-GAWollman

--
Garrett A. Wollman   | Shashish is simple, it's discreet, it's brief. ...
wollman@lcs.mit.edu  | Shashish is the bonding of hearts in spite of distance.