Date:      Thu, 18 Apr 2002 15:36:46 -0500
From:      "Mark Johnston" <mjohnston@skyweb.ca>
To:        <freebsd-isp@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Sendmail - host name lookup failure

> This:
>
> lynx:[/home/dave] > nslookup cboegwy01.boe.ca.gov
> Server:  localhost.syix.com
> Address:  127.0.0.1
>
> Non-authoritative answer:
> Name:    cboegwy01.boe.ca.gov
> Address:  168.71.115.200

I suspect the problem comes from a missing MX.

> cboegwy01.boe.ca.gov
Server:  cache1.mb.skyweb.ca
Address:  209.5.243.54

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    cboegwy01.boe.ca.gov
Address:  168.71.115.200

> set type=mx
> cboegwy01.boe.ca.gov
Server:  cache1.mb.skyweb.ca
Address:  209.5.243.54

*** cache1.mb.skyweb.ca can't find cboegwy01.boe.ca.gov: Server failed

The host cboegwy01.boe.ca.gov has no MX record.  The host itself is
running SMTP, but I'm not sure whether sendmail will try the domain part
of the address as an MX - maybe there's an option for that, buried in
the murky depths of the cf file.  The DNS lookup is failing because
sendmail, I expect, is sending a query only for MX.

Mark