Date:      Wed, 13 Aug 1997 23:59:44 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        David Goddard <d.m.goddard@ic.ac.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ppp -auto and sendmail as a delivery agent

On Tue, 12 Aug 1997, David Goddard wrote:

> I know this is a variation on a FAQ, but trawls though the archives and
> docs haven't produced definitive answers.
>
> I'm running ppp -auto to handle my networking (works fine) on by 2.2 box,
> and I'd like to check my mail with poplicent (no probs there) and send it
> with sendmail (ugh).
>
> During startup, sendmail (called from rc.local with -bd flag only) sends a
> packet to the network, causing ppp to dial.  I find this strange as there
> is no q flag.

One acronym: DNS.

Either set yourself up as a caching DNS or set up ppp to ignore DNS
queries as a keepalive.

> A possibly related problem is that when I try and send mail to a local user
> (ie. mail dmg or mail dmg@localhost), it brings up the ppp link and sends
> it to the internet (sendmail is currently configured not to queue mail, I'm
> going to get round to that Real Soon Now).  Before I set up ppp -auto (and
> disabled the sendmail daemon), there was no problem with this (or is this a
> red herring?).  I suspect that what is happening is that the mail is being
> interpreted as being sent to dmg@dmg.cc.ic.ac.uk (ie. me at full name of my
> host as defnined in sysconfig) which is then being sent over PPP (because I
> have no sendmail daemon listening on my box?), munged by Imperial's mail
> system to dmg@ic.ac.uk and delivered to my POP mailbox.

Try adding your host name to /etc/sendmail.cw.  This tells sendmail to
send mail destined to your machine must be delivered locally.

Note that your hostname doesn't really exist.

gdi,ttyp0,/usr/X11R6/bin,151>host dmg.cc.ic.ac.uk
Host not found.

Spam routed to /dev/null by Procmail    | Death to Cyberpromo