Date:      Thu, 18 Jul 2002 10:43:46 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Sten <sten@blinkenlights.nl>
To:        Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: machine checks on a AlphaPC 164LX

On Wed, 17 Jul 2002, Andrew Gallatin wrote:

> I've got a PC164LX which will crash with a machine check under heavy
> disk IO to its on-board CMD 646 ATA controller.

well the onboard ata is so amazingly slow that I wouldnt
recommend using it. The problem however is that promise
and other cards arent bootable. You would either
have to boot from floppy or use a scsi adaptor to boot.

You've updated the srm, and arent running current ? :)

--
Sten Spans

  "What does one do with ones money,
   when there is no more empty rackspace ?"